Author: Johann Scheffler, 1657 (1624-1677) Composer: Unknown
1. Thee will I love, Oh, love eternal, Thy heart for me in death did break. Will love Thee out of purest motive Sincerely, true, though poor and weak. Thee will I love, Oh, light divine, So long as ever life is mine.
2. Thee will I love, my life, my Saviour, Who is my best and truest friend; Thee will I love and praise forever While light and life to me are lent. Thee will I love, Oh, Lamb of God, Whose suff’ring my redemption brought.
3. Alas! that I so late have known Thee Who art the fairest and the best! Nor sooner for my own select Thee, Thou highest God and only rest! I must repent and sorely grieve, For this my loathness to believe.
4. I wandered long in willing blindness; I sought Thee but I found Thee not. For still I shunned Thy beams of kindness; An earthly light filled all my thought. But thro’ Thy love I see Thee now, For Thou in grace to me didst bow.
5. I thank Thee, Jesus, sun from heaven, Whose shining beams brought light to me! I thank Thee, who hast richly given All that could make me glad and free! I thank Thee for Thy holy Word, Which said to me: Be thou restored!
6. Oh, keep me watchful then, and humble, And suffer me no more to stray; Uphold me when my feet would stumble, Nor let me loiter by the way. Fill soul and body with Thy light Oh, heav’nly radiance strong and bright!
7. Gush from mine eyes, ye tears most holy; Burn in my heart, coals from above! Yea, let my soul endeavor solely To practice faithfulness and love! Yea, let my heart and soul and mind Still turn to Thee, their rest to find!
8. Thee will I love, my crown of gladness; Thee will I love, my God and Lord, Amid the darkest depth of sadness, Without a hope of earth’s reward. And though my flesh and heart decay, Thee will I love in endless day!
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!