Text Source: Johann Jakob Schneider's Stimmen der Wanderer nach Zion, 1826, Basel, Switzerland Composer: Johannes Schmidlin (1722-1772)
1. God with us! We need not fear; Jesus crowns with life eternal; Faithful let us be while here, Till God ends our pilgrim journey; Trumpets for the conflict sound; Up, ye valiant, stand your ground!
2. See, our Saviour leads the way; Triumph marks His ev’ry footstep; Follow Him in glad array Bravely with courageous effort! Though He leads through blood and death, Heroes never lose their faith.
3. Fiercely shall our foe approach; Many brethren brave are falling; For God’s kingdom they endure; Life eternal is their calling. He in endless bliss shall live Who for Christ his life will give.
4. Do not fear the tempter’s wrath, Though the man of sin be raging; Soon to Judgment he must pass; And then, brethren, we shall enter Where no sorrow e’er is known, Where all dread and fear have flown.
5. We behold the heav’nly throng Who in ages past have suffered Persecution, hate and wrong, Who for God their lives have offered; Look beyond, behold their course; Strive as they, to heaven’s doors.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!