Author: Benjamin Schmolck (1672-1737) Composer: Johann Heinrich Egli (1742-1810)
1. Faithful until death remain! For the crown of life be striving. Break through bonds of woe and pain, In His promise e’er confiding, Which through grace is kept in store For thee when thy journey’s o’er.
2. There no crown shall e’er adorn Him who wavers in the battle. He who bears reproach and scorn, Keeping faithful in the struggle, Shall receive the crown so bright, Glorious as the sun’s own light.
3. If this treasure you await, In the conflict grow not weary. Peace abounds in Jesus’ path, Though the way seems often dreary. We must toil through sweat and pain If the promised prize we’d gain.
4. Have you vowed to serve the Lord, ’Neath His banner ever fighting? Flee the evil of this world, Satan and his power smiting; Till the victor there shall be, Waving palms of victory.
5. Thus our duty is made plain, Trusting and in God abiding. Faithful to thy Lord remain; Till your eyes in light beholding, See prepared there for the blest Shining crowns of righteousness.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!