Text Source: Sammlung Auserlesener Geistlicher Lieder zum Gemeinschaftlichen Gesang, 1810 Composer: Johann Crüger, 1647 (1598-1662)
1. Lord Jesus, Thou art King; At God’s right hand Thou reignest. Thy praise the angels sing; Thy servants Thou sustainest. The world’s release didst Thou Upon the cross achieve. Look down in pity now, Its wretchedness relieve.
2. Thy gospel free and pure Send forth to ev’ry nation. Let all perceive Thy light, And welcome Thy salvation. Raise up Thy people true; Let ev’ry tongue and clime Sound forth Thy glorious praise, Exalt Thy name sublime.
3. Let ev’ry heart and knee In rev’rence bow before Thee, And in the very dust In humbleness adore Thee. Let ev’ry tongue confess That God His Son did raise To be a Saviour, King, Unto His Father’s praise.
4. Come, joyful day, Oh come! The promised word fulfilling, The longings of our heart, The soul’s desires stilling. The Kingdom and the might, All glory and all pow’r Be given now of God To Christ the Lord this hour.
5. His glorious rule shall be Unending and unbroken. The sceptre of His might, Of peace shall be the token. Ye nations, shout for joy; His praise let all proclaim. The whole round world tell forth The honor due His name.
6. The angel host on high Doth sing His praise in cadence, With cherub’s mighty power, With seraph’s purest radiance. The choir with golden harps Beside the crystal sea Doth raise the glad new song: “The Lamb’s high praise sing we.”
7. Four beings ’round the throne, The elders there before them, Exalt God and the Lamb His glory spreading o’er them, Before Him cast their crowns, Fall down and Him adore, Who saith: “I was, I am, And shall be evermore.”
8. Glory to God on high, To Father, Son, and Spirit, Whose faithful children all The Kingdom shall inherit. The host of Thine elect, The heavens broad and free, Praise Thee, great Trinity, Through all eternity.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!