Author: Johann Friedrich von Meyer (1772-1849) Composer: Peter Sohren, 1668 (1630-1692)
1. Jehovah is the shepherd true, Who gives me full salvation. This Watchman never sleeps or fails, His goodness is my portion. To verdant pastures does He lead. My soul on dews of life shall feed, The spirit’s grace abounding.
2. Beside the fountain flowing pure, My soul is ever joyful. When courage fails, I go to drink Its waters clear and peaceful. In righteous paths He leadeth me; His guiding hand and care I see; He leads me for His name’s sake.
3. Though wand’ring through this gloomy vale, No evil am I fearing. Thy eyes behold my journey here; Thy grace Thou still art sharing. Thy rod and staff’s consoling pow’r, Thy faithfulness and strength each hour Shall lead me safely onward.
4. Thy table is prepared for me, Though enemies surrounding. Thou canst dispel my fear and woe With words of cheer abounding. My head with oil Thou dost anoint. The cup o’erflows. Thou dost appoint My longing soul to heaven.
5. Thy goodness and Thy mercy shall Abide with me forever. Within my Lord’s abode I’ll dwell, Till death this life shall sever. And when my pilgrimage is o’er, On wings of fervent love I’ll soar Up to the Father’s mansion.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!