Author: Georges Michel Mangold (1822-1894) Composer: Justin Heinrich Knecht (1752-1817)
1. Oh, I rejoice to praise Thee singing, Thou mighty ruler of Zion, Thee, Holy One, all honor bringing To Thee, the Father’s only Son! Thy lips are brimming with compassion, With love and favor and with grace; Shines, Lord of All, in love’s sweet passion, Thy gentle, kind and loving face.
2. Gird up Thy loins with sword and banner Thy strong and mighty word, O Lord! March out to capture ev’ry manner Of spoil, with Thy great strength and sword! With greatness, majesty and honor Thy truth is brought into the light; To those oppressed, Thou sendest freedom, Destroyest Satan’s yoke with might.
3. Strong is Thy right hand; who’ll deny it? And wonderful Thou’rt proved to be. The arrows from Thy bow are pointed; Thou’lt surely strike the enemy. Yea, to their knees we’ll see them sinking, When Thy great mighty voice is heard; And when they see Thy great sword gleaming ‘Twill put to flight all Satan’s horde.
4. Thy throne, O God, will stand forever. Thy kingdom’s full of righteousness; Thy sceptre be exalted ever; Thou hatest all ungodliness. Anointed art Thou without measure More than all Thy associates; Eternal kingdom is Thy treasure, With peace and blessings numberless.
5. Thy garments that are very precious Send forth a perfume, pure and rare, When Thou dost come from out Thy palace In kingly robes beyond compare! O Lord, so awesome is the glory Of heavenly light and majesty; O Victor great, with praise and honor Wilt Thou be crowned eternally!
6. Arrayed in garments of Thy splendor King’s daughters now before Thee stand; The Bride, in raiment bright with grandeur, Is standing at Thine own right hand. Beloved Daughter, His voice heeding, Now thy devoted Lord adore; Forget Thy people and their pleading, Thy father’s house forevermore!
7. The Bride appears with grace adorned, With her great King’s most glorious dress. Her garments are in gold embroidered, With everlasting righteousness. Then, in the raiment He made precious With his own blood on Calvary, He leadeth her into His palace, To dwell with Him eternally.
8. In place of fathers, Thou hast children Distributed o’er all the world, Placed here as rulers; and to conquer They follow Thee with flags unfurled. We think of Thee with joy and pleasure And nations bring their thanks to Thee. And in the coming age of ages, Resounds our praise eternally.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!