Author: Johann Friedrich Starck (1680-1756) Composer: Hans Georg Nägeli (1773-1836)
1. Meekness is the noblest virtue, Ev’ry Christian’s honor bright; It adorns the youthful member And the aged with its might. Though it does not stand in favor With those of a proud behavior, Yet ’tis more than precious gold, More than fame and wealth untold.
2. Behold Jesus, He was humble; He exalted not Himself; He was gracious, loving, gentle, Asked no honor and no wealth; In Him dwelt no vain ambition, Nor a boasting disposition; So He calls to me and thee: “Learn humility from Me!”
3. He who exercises meekness Is belov’d by ev’ryone; He who does not vaunt his knowledge God will honor in His Son. Humbleness to God is pleasing, And to all in grace increasing, Who go with God hand in hand, And in Jesus’ love do stand.
4. Truly meekness greatly blesses, And obtains the Father’s grace. Who this virtue here possesses, Knowing her most fitting place, Will in all his deeds find favor, And his soul is glorious ever. Faith, hope, love and gentleness Do a heart of meekness bless.
5. These good fruits of God, the Spirit, That are given to the meek, They, through Jesus, may inherit Who for them sincerely seek. Only where true faith is dwelling There true meekness is excelling; And thereby is manifest Who Christ’s Spirit knows the best.
6. So I’ll strive to be more humble, Evermore be meek and kind; Humbleness shall rule my actions, Meekness dwell in heart and mind. In my manner and my being All my neighbors may be seeing That it is God’s Spirit’s might Leading me in truth and right.
7. After meekness follows rapture, God’s good blessing in this time; There is at that joyful meeting Peace and happiness sublime. Then humility in grandeur Shall receive the crown of honor; What was slighted here below Shineth there in heav’nly glow.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!