Author: Leenaert Clock (c. 1590) Composer: Hans Georg Nägeli (1773-1836)
1. Live peacefully! Said Christ, the Lord, Unto His own elected. My brethren dear, O heed His Word As those with God connected. To you I tell As my farewell, In concord ne’er to waver; Though I depart, Yet in my heart I’m bound to you forever.
2. A pain of heart possesses me, I sigh with deep affection. Because the Lord has thus decreed My sojourn’s termination. My deep distress I must confess At this our parting sudden. Though I depart, Yet in my heart You ne’er shall be forgotten.
3. A Christian manner ever show, As you have been instructed; On firm foundation you must grow, On Christ’s way be conducted. My brethren, see, This is my plea In parting on the morrow. Though we must part, Here stays my heart, Shares with you joy and sorrow.
4. We’ve lived in peace together here, As all can see most clearly; We’ve lived as Christians who would bear The Saviour’s name sincerely, E’en as all do Whose faith is true; And hence I leave with sadness. Though I depart, You have my heart. I think of you with gladness.
5. My loving friends, full many a tear Have I shed for you, weeping; This has been done in love sincere While I my watch was keeping. For night and day My heart did pray: “God keep you ev’ry hour!” Though I depart, You have my heart That you with love will shower.
6. Ye fathers, strive with courage bold, In sowing and in reaping; With watchful care attend the fold That God puts in your keeping. Then Christ the Lord As your reward The crown of life will render. Although we part, Yet shall my heart In love to you surrender.
7. Ye children, in submission yield Due rev’rence to the fathers. Through love and peace shall be revealed How good fruits you may gather. Each heart increase In perfect peace And joy in Christ the Saviour; Though now we part, Yet pleads my heart: Learn wisdom, truth and favor!
8. Praised be the Lord who gives us strength, Who leads and gives direction. My brethren, when you kneel in pray’r, For me make intercession. “Twill not be vain; Pray’r as a chain Binds us in God together, And when we part, Unites each heart In Jesus’ name forever.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!