Author: Matthias Jorissen (1739-1823) Composer: Robert Hoerr, 2000 (1956-)
1. Praise the Lord, with commendation! To praise our God with true devotion Our joy and duty e’er shall be. When our song to Him ascendeth His smile of love on us descendeth With blessings kind and heavenly. Do you His might behold, His works of grace untold? Lo, here standeth Jerusalem Thus built of Him Who thro’ His love is glorified.
2. Our once persecuted brethren The Lord will to His people gather, Fear and oppression will be doomed. He will heal the brokenhearted, Will join those who in grief were parted And out of sorrow joy will bloom. God’s wisdom is expressed In all His righteousness. Happy people that sings His fame And does proclaim That God, in love, does bear His own.
3. God, our Lord is great and splendid With might and wisdom has commended; Who comprehends His pow’r so grand? He alone His strength can measure, Sustaining ev’ry work and treasure, Created by His mighty hand. All those who come abased Shall surely be released Of their burden; but curse and scorn Of Him is borne Who boldly shall the Lord oppose.
4. Not in strength or might delight ye, And not on the works men now build ye, The creature is but vanity. That alone can give God pleasure When we walk in His ways, and treasure His goodness and His clemency. Whatever He may do Is good and right and true. Blessed people who Him revere And who see clear That He them in His love enfolds!
5. Zion, rise! God’s praises sing Thou! Jerusalem, the proof now bring thou That all thy folk are God’s by grace. He who hath redeemed thee surely, And who hath built thy walls securely, To children’s children thee doth bless. He gives thy borders peace, And He grants thee increase. Blessed people who Him revere And who see clear That He them in His love enfolds!
6. His true Word, His testimony, God gave to thee, His servant, only; O Israel, His love behold! Lo, to such exalted station He lifted not another nation, But let them wander from the fold. Thou, Jacob, shalt alone The Father’s blessing own! Hallelujah! O praise the Lord With glad accord; His service in thy blessedness!
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!