Author: Georges Michel Mangold (1822-1894) Composer: Swiss Melody
1. God, the Father of our Saviour, Who in Heaven has His throne, Is the source of all creation, Origin of life alone. He said to His Son, Christ Jesus, “On my throne which never ceases Sit Thou, ‘til Thy foes shall be Made a footstool unto Thee.”
2. Now Thy throne stands high in Heaven, King o’er ev’ry multitude; Thou shalt rule till all opponents At Thy feet shall lie subdued. Ev’ry foe shall fear and tremble, When Thy host Thou wilt assemble, And in glorious victory Shalt put on Thy majesty.
3. Dominate Thy adversaries; Hold Thy scepter, keep Thy vows! May Thy church, the mount of Zion, Be Thy royal treasure house. When Thy vict’ry is completed And Thy foes annihilated, Then shall we in holiness Worship Thee with joy and praise.
4. Then shall Zion bear Thee children, An uncounted multitude, Freed from sorrow and affliction, And with wondrous grace endued, As the plenteous dew of morning, Strong in might of Thine adorning; Since the strife is o’er, they sing Joyful in eternal spring.
5. Verily our God hath spoken, And His promise He will hold. Lord, Thou art a Priest forever, As Melchizedek of old. Thou shalt be a High Priest ever, Prince of Peace, the only Saviour; Yea, Thou shalt in majesty King and Priest and Prophet be.
6. Thy work is to bless Thy people From the Holy Place above, Granting grace to all believers, Who are praising God in love. Since Thy lifeblood Thou hast given, Opening the way to Heaven, He who now repents shall live, If he truly doth believe.
7. When the Lord brings all to judgment And avenges every wrong, When He humbles all the haughty, Breaking Satan’s power strong, Then will Jesus’ crowns be gleaming Far beyond man’s fondest dreaming, And His people’s joy will be Him to save eternally!
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!