Author: Philipp Friedrich Hiller (1699-1769) Composer: Nicolaus Decius, 1539 (1485-1546)
1. Lord Jesus, praise to Thee ascend, Thou strong help and foundation! Thy priesthood great will never end, Nor cease Thy blest salvation. Lord, Thou art He who answers pray’r, Relieves our fears and ev’ry care, If we in faith draw near Thee.
2. Through Thy ascension to the skies We see the heavens opened; The way to God, the great and wise, Thou hast revealed and spoken. True faith the confidence supplies That Thou for us in Paradise A mansion hast prepared us.
3. Thy wounds enabled Thee to pass Into Thy sanctuary; Thou hast attained a life of bliss That shall not change nor vary. Through Thy own might Thou dost possess And bring to us the righteousness That shall endure forever.
4. Since Christ, our Head, in heav’n doth reign, Then shall each of His members By faithfulness admission gain; Each one He will remember. They shall with Him united be And in eternal glory see Their glorified Redeemer.
5. Draw us to Thee, O Lord, we plead! May we a heavenly nature In word, in thought, in ev’ry deed Adopt as newborn creatures. Draw heavenward each longing heart, And in Thy kingdom be our part, Repose and conversation.
6. What is above, in future we Shall seek it unabating; All vanity, Lord, teach us flee, All sin and evil hating! Away, O world, all thy pretense Is truly wretched, an offense To all those heaven-minded.
7. O treasure, bright with heav’nly ray, My heart holds Thy impression! O pearl, whose price no world can pay; Thou shalt be my possession! O gratifying heritage, O haven of my pilgrimage, Be mine through Jesus’ favor!
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!