Author: Gerhard Tersteegen, 1729 (1697-1769) Composer: Joachim Neander, 1680 (1650-1680)
Translated: Apostolic Christian Elders, 1921
1. God is ever present! Let us now adore Him, And in rev’rence come before Him! “Holy, holy, holy!” Angel bands are singing, And incessant praises bringing! Bow Thine ear, Lord, and hear, As we in submission Offer our oblation!
2. O majestic Being, praises now we offer And our willing service proffer! Might we as the angels stand in sacred nearness And behold Thy face in clearness! Grant that we, day by day, Unto Thee be pleasing And in love increasing!
3. We renounce with pleasure and in fullest measure, Ev’ry earthly joy and treasure. Life and soul and body, we in consecration Give to Thee, a full possession. Thee alone will we own As our God and Father, Worshipping no other.
4. Make us truly humble, from the world retired, Gentle, mild, with peace inspired! As the tender flower willingly unfoldeth, To the sunlight gently yieldeth, May we be glad and free, Heav’nly light receiving, Thou Thy work achieving.
5. Come, Lord, dwell within us, as on earth we tarry; Let us be Thy sanctuary! Let Thy holy presence fill us with Thy glory; Love and praise shall tell the story! May our heart ne’er depart From a true devotion, For Thou art our portion.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!