Authors: Heinrich Cornelius Hecker (1699-1743) and Albert Knapp (1798-1864) Composer: Hans Georg Nägeli (1773-1836)
1. Word which God has spoken, Word of peaceful token, Gospel of the Lord! Fount of benediction, Comfort in affliction, Holy Spirit’s sword! Source of might, of life and light! Joyful message of God given, Sent to us from heaven!
2. Unto ev’ry nation Thou dost bring salvation Through Thy blessed light, Till the understanding Of Thy truth expanding Shall dispel the night. God’s own light, O star so bright! Send to many hearts Thy radiance, Who yield in obedience.
3. All is now accomplished; God has sent redemption By His loving Son; Christ His life has given, To the cross was driven, For us life has won. Christ fulfilled the Father’s will, To His honor, praise and glory. What a joyful story!
4. Jesus’ invitation Calls to ev’ry nation: “Draw nigh and believe! God your sins will pardon Lest your hearts should harden In your unbelief. Come to me; I’ll make you free From your bondage and oppression. Let me take possession!”
5. See how sinners revel, Serving death and devil; Numberless are they Who in lofty places Bow to idol faces, Shameful homage pay; Yet some time shall brightly shine On the hills our Saviour’s healing, Valleys reconciling.
6. Though mid strife, and tumult, Men will heap their insult On the blood of Christ; Ye who love the Saviour, Bearing ill-will ever, Being much despised, Soon ’tis past, and they at last Who have served, endured, and waited Shall be vindicated.
7. See the mighty nations, Whose imaginations Are an idle dream, Christ’s own name now bearing, Yet for Him not caring; Yea, they Him blaspheme; Trust the Lord; such are abhorred, And one day will crash in pieces. Then the evil ceases.
8. See the lowly churches, Which by Christian virtues Satan’s power defy, Where the true salvation, Preached with consecration, Leads to life on high. Great shall be the small ye see When all to their Saviour plighted, Once shall be united.
9. In His grace rejoicing And His praises voicing We have peace with God; Heart and soul we offer Him who once did suffer And our pardon bought. Love Him here; and without fear Praise His holy name forever And our God and Saviour!
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!