1. We tarry in this blest and tranquil union, And thus united speak the farewell word. Ye loved ones, now the parting hour is nearing, The farewell greeting sounds in one accord. Our hearts are yet in close communion beating; In Jesus’ name we bid the farewell greeting.
2. Our souls have been united in sweet union And many precious hours have gone by. Our thoughts arose to Christ, our Lord and Saviour, And He our hearts with love did sanctify. We sang our songs of praise unto the Father, For He is worthy of our praise and honor.
3. O, may the Christian love be ever glowing Within our hearts; this is our Saviour’s will! Though cross or pain or scorn or death befall us, May faith and love to Him be constant still. For He who bore the cross is now in heaven. To Him we’ll rise when once His call is given.
4. And so, farewell to you, beloved brother, As now we part and say our fond “farewell!” Should we again be meeting one another, Then may we find that in you still doth dwell The love of Christ, that first and dearest treasure, That always fills our hearts with grateful pleasure.
5. But should our course be otherwise directed, Should we on earth no more each other see, Should death approach more quickly than expected, Then may the Lord unite us lovingly In yonder realm of peace and joy forever, Where sun and moon need not be shining ever.
6. Our hands to you in brother-love extending, Beloved friends, accept our fond farewell; God speed you on until your journey’s ending, On to His throne where you His praise will tell! We look beyond to those untroubled regions, In hope to join the Lamb and all His legions.
7. Farewell, meanwhile, farewell, for we are leaving. Let not God’s Word despised, neglected be! E’er faithfully unto your Saviour cleaving, His Word, your all in all eternally. Let none be found pervert in his behavior, But hold ye fast to Christ, our blessed Saviour.
8. So fare ye well! Our hands are joined in parting. This may our final farewell greeting be. O, let us look unto our Lord and Saviour, Who’ll lead us into all eternity! O, may God’s grace, our bond of love completing Protect us all; this is our farewell greeting!
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!