Author: Georges Michel Mangold (1822-1894) Music Source: Johann J. Vetter's Sammlung einiger christlichen Lieder für die Kinder, 1834
1. The Lord, He is my shepherd true, Who leadeth me securely On pleasant pastures to and fro With joys and blessings surely. He leads me to the fount of life My soul to comfort and revive.
2. His Word is bread unto my soul, My inner man restoring. Upon life’s pilgrim journey here My heart to Him goes soaring. He safely leads me with His hand Through pilgrim’s dale to heaven’s land.
3. A mighty fortress is His name, Where succor never faileth. In daily conflict here on earth Where Satan’s might assaileth, I trust in my dear Shepherd’s might And to this stronghold take my flight.
4. Not merely ’gainst our flesh and blood This conflict is enacted; ’Gainst Satan’s whole infernal brood Our battle is directed. Yet I feel neither fear nor fright, For Jesus is my strength and might.
5. His staff is ever my support On pathways lone and dreary; My consolation is His Word; And, lest I might grow weary, A table is prepared for me In presence of mine enemy.
6. Lo, He anoints my head with oil And heals my wounded spirit; He stays my soul, and after toil He never fails to cheer it. He makes my cup to overflow That I, refreshed, may onward go.
7. This Shepherd ne’er forsakes His fold In joy nor yet in sorrow, But shares to us His love untold Each day and each tomorrow. Then let us follow to the end And with Him enter heaven’s land.
8. Then haste, this faithful Shepherd claim Whose care is ever present, Who calls His faithful ones by name To pastures green and pleasant. He finds them all where’er they roam; He leads the way and brings them home!
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!