Author: Friedrich Adolf Krummacher (1767-1845) Composer: Johann Heinrich Egli (1742-1810)
1. One flock and a shepherd dear! What a glorious visitation When Thy day will once appear To restore us full salvation. Let His light wake thee from sleep; Jesus will His promise keep!
2. Watchman, is the day afar? See the morning light is gleaming; Light from the bright morning star Through the darkest clouds is streaming. Strangers blinded sigh for light; He shall make His promise right.
3. Come Thou, Shepherd, faithful One; May Thy light dispel the darkness! From Thee and Thy little fold Erring lambs have strayed so helpless. Little flock, now cease to weep; Jesus will His promise keep.
4. See the dark clouds pass away With the morning light’s appearance. Thirsting strangers kneel to pray By the fount of life in rev’rence, Till they see the morning light; Jesus makes His promise right.
5. See the graves asunder rent With their dead to life appearing! Angel of the covenant Now proclaims His day is nearing! Jesus calls: “Let there be light!” Jesus makes His promise right.
6. O, behold that glorious day! Jesus Christ, our Sun and treasure, Giving light and wisdom still, Peace and joy in fullest measure! See the light! Awake from sleep! Jesus will His promise keep!
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!