Author: Georges Michel Mangold (1822-1894) Music Source: J. A. Freylinghausen's Neues Geistreiches Gesangbuch, Halle, Germany, 1704
1. O Lord of Hosts, how pleasant is The city where Thy name in glory dwelleth! When Thou into the mortal hearts dost turn, How blest are they in whom Thy Spirit ruleth! They shall rejoice in all eternity Who live for Thee.
2. O, how my soul does long to live Within the portals of Thy Sanctuary! O, Lord, my soul rejoices fervently. To Thee I give all honor, praise and glory! I’ll worship Thee through all my pilgrim days With thanks and praise.
3. My soul had strayed away from Thee, But now in peaceful rest it is abiding. To Thee I turned and found a safe retreat, Just as a swallow to its nest returning. How sweet to rest, thus kept in ev’ry hour From Satan’s pow’r!
4. My erring soul, which once was lost, Within Thy blood and wounds has found redemption. I humbly fall before Thy mercy seat And find my solace, rest and full salvation. With Thee, my God and King, I would abide, Whate’er betide!
5. O blessed are all they who dwell Within Thine house, who praise Thee now and ever. O blessed is the man, he doeth well, Whose rest Thou art, whose heart is Thine forever; For he, who Thee as his sure strength doth know, May safely go.
6. In peace, he treads this vale of tears, Where troubles rise and there is so much sorrow; There is no need or anguish that he fears; He trusts in God, thus facing each tomorrow. Thou crownest him with blessings rich, divine, For he is Thine.
7. Lord God of hosts, now hear our prayer; Our God our Shield, we daily do implore Thee; For it belongs, O Lord, unto Thy care To keep the kingdom of Thy Son before Thee; When Satan threatens, Thou art Sun and Shield, To Thee we yield.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!