Author: Karl Philipp Spitta (1801-1859) Music Source: Musikalisches Handbuch, 1690
1. Our lot is found in pleasant places; A goodly heritage is ours, To Him whence come all gifts and graces Let us give praise with all our pow’rs. He chooses us of His free grace And makes us His peculiar race.
2. He undertook our souls’ salvation; Our sad condition moved Him so! And came to us from pure compassion To raise us from our depths of woe. O, wonderful, surpassing love, Which brought Him to us from above!
3. He saw in us no form of beauty, No virtue, nor intrinsic worth. Not one there was that did his duty, For all were sinners from their birth; Nor was there one in such distress Who could our misery redress.
4. Then, moved at heart with deep compassion, The Lord stretched out His arm to save; And His own life for our salvation, And therewith all things, freely gave: Adoption, sonship and with this A whole eternity of bliss.
5. O, Lord, of goodness so amazing, Not one is worthy, no not one. We stand in shame and wonder gazing At wondrous things which Thou hast done. Thy crowning grace and precious blood Have reconciled us with our God.
6. We feel quite certain of obtaining Nothing but goodness from Thy hand, And wend our way without complaining Through dreary mist and barren land, With heav’n in view, where we shall be Joined through eternity to Thee.
7. Our lot is found in pleasant places; A goodly heritage is ours; And gladly would we share the graces, Which God’s great goodness richly show’rs. Yea, we commend them unto all Who would obey the gracious call.
8. It grieves us sore when men refuse them And treat God’s blessings with disdain; Or by neglect forever lose them And make the grace of God in vain. All ye who thirst come here and buy, And Christ will all your wants supply.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!