Author: Karl Philipp Spitta (1801-1859) Composer: John Homer Baumgartner, 1956 (1901-1970)
1. I and my house, we are prepared, As long as to us life is shared To serve thee, Lord, sincerely. Thou shalt be Master of the house, Who with His blessing us endows And we may love Thee dearly Bless all, Though small As Thy lowly, Pure and holy Congregation To Thy great name’s adoration.
2. May Thy good Spirit further, Lord, Work in us through Thy mighty Word, And guide our souls forever! O may it shine forth clear and bright, That in our house the one true Light May there be lacking never! Lord, now Bestow Food from heaven, Morn and even, While we’re living And ourselves to Thee are giving.
3. Give to our house the peace within, And to all who abide therein, In love bind us together. That we may be prepared alway To bear and to endure, we pray In humbleness forever. Each soul Fulfill Love’s sweet measure With great pleasure, Thereby showing Pleasing fruits from tearful sowing.
4. O, let our house be built on stone, Upon Thy holy truth alone, That we may never waver, And even when the days are dark May we Thy holy footsteps mark And follow Thee, O Saviour! In Thee Have we, E’en in sadness Lasting gladness In rich measure, For Thou givest heav’nly pleasure.
5. And finally ’bove all we pray That in this house no spirit stay But only Thine own Spirit; Our conduct here to regulate, And perfect order to instate, In holy, God-like manner. Amen! Amen! Come draw near us, Sun of clearness, Truthful witness, Shine in heart and soul with clearness.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!