Author: Meta Heusser-Schweizer (1797-1876) Composer: John William Dadmun (1819-1890)
1. O, how joyful are Thy members, Sorely tempted Man of care, That upon this earth Thou camest And for us the cross didst bear! All infirmities didst carry, Also ev’ry sinner’s woe; And for ev’ry earthly dweller Into bitter death didst go!
2. Reign then in Thy kindly graces Over Thy disciple band; Pour upon our pilgrim’s pathway Blessings from Thy loving hand! By Thy Spirit’s gentle wooing, Start in us without delay Holiness of life and longing For the straight and narrow way!
3. When the cares of life are pressing Let us in Thee find relief; And on us Thy peace dispensing Drive away the deepest grief. When temptations here assail us, Let us look up to the cross; If in strife fear would o’ertake us, Be protection over us!
4. Lord, for us the roots uncover Of disguised or gilded sin; May we then Thy cross discover Where our vict’ry Thou didst win. Help us to be faithful ever; Hold us fast, for we are Thine, Till at last we shall forever Share Thy peace and joy divine!
5. Oh, how willingly we’ll praise Thee, Gentle Shepherd, when Thou then Yonder in that glorious city Thy whole flock wilt gather in! Come then soon, O Lord, we pray Thee; Gather us before Thy throne. O, how joyfully we’ll praise Thee, Crowned in triumph, God’s own Son!
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!