Author: Christoph Karl Ludwig von Pfeil (1712-1784) Composer: Johann Rosenmüller (1619-1684)
1. Pray, O Church, be sanctified With the holy ointment! Jesus’ Spirit be applied In thy soul’s appointment! Be therefore, Evermore, Pray’r and fervent pleading From thy lips proceeding!
2. Consecrate thy offering And thy spirit’s longing Unto Him, whose suffering Draws thee to Him strongly! Sweet incense Be it hence, That to God’s throne soareth, When thy heart imploreth!
3. This assembly’s ardent pray’r And its meek petition Will upon God’s altar there Find due recognition. God advised Jesus Christ, Priest and intercessor, For each true confessor.
4. God thus hears most graciously All the prayers we offer; And the angels glad will be Worship there to proffer To the Lord, In accord With us poor and lowly, To God, high and holy.
5. All the incense of the saints Must produce great favor; On the coals we lay our grains Unto a sweet savor. Then it may Melt this day All our minds together In love’s flame forever!
6. If a single fervent pray’r Of a soul prevailing On the tender heart of God Brings its fruit unfailing, How much more Is in store, When whole congregations Bring their supplications?
7. When the righteous, there and here, Great and small invited, Angels, mankind, all sincere, All in pray’r united, It will blend And ascend To the regions o’er us; What a mighty chorus!
8. Draw in spirit ever nigh; Pray within your chambers; Lifting holy hands on high, Holy keep your members. Holy be Ev’ry plea That to God is springing, Strength and blessing bringing!
9. O the strength and might unknown Of the Christians’ praying! Without this could not be done All they are essaying; Thus alone There is won Vict’ry o’er deceivers, Triumph for believers!
10. But this longing must at first In thy soul be gleaming; Then from out your pray’rs will burst Thunder, lightning streaming. They are sent With intent That your foes shall tremble, When God’s host assemble.
11. All your prayers that now aspire To your God in heaven Should thus be an holy fire On His altar given. Worldly fire, False desire, Should not then be blended With what hath ascended.
12. Pray ye that time’s latter end Quickly may be nearing, That our Lord may soon descend For His great appearing. Come then all, Great and small, Join the angels’ yearning For our Lord’s returning!
13. Prayers from inmost depth of heart Find the Master’s favor, And the Christian’s highest art Is to please the Saviour. So should we Watchful be, Waiting, hoping, longing For His second coming.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!