Author: Unknown Music Source: J. A. Freylinghausen's Neues Geistreiches Gesangbuch, Halle, Germany, 1704
1. Awake, ye witnesses! Be burning In deepest love; inflame also our hearts; Let from above descend upon us The fiery tongues that with their flaming darts Rise up and melt together, we implore, In fervent heat the faithful evermore!
2. Has love’s bright flame died out among us? Nay, it shall burn intensely and with zeal, Shall be the pow’r and inspiration That brings forth fruit of sweetness, pure and real; It wafts to us the cooling heav’nly breeze, Gives us in conflict victory and peace.
3. Thou, Shepherd, hast each one entreated To work and do with diligence Thy will; Ne’er shall Thy love in us be waning, And as it bound the saints, so bind us still. It gives us hope where we in fear would groan, Leads us to trust in Thy good help alone.
4. The cross shall be our preparation, Our hearts as holy temples to ordain, Lest in eternal condemnation Our soul shall suffer torment, grief and pain, Sound therefore loud and clear Thy Shepherd’s call; Into our hearts its echo e’er shall fall.
5. The heaven’s gates are standing open, And in Thy holy covenant we stand. If we but honor, if we trust Thee, Thou wilt adorn us with Thy gracious hand, Yea, though the earth and heaven pass away, Yet in Thy covenant we’ll ever stay.
6. We are engaged in mortal combat; A coward soon despairs, turns back and flees, But he whom Christ gives sword and armor, Will persevere and gain eternal peace. Then joyfully, O brethren, ever on; For after victory we’ll wear the crown.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!