Author: Johann Eusebius Schmidt (1670-1745) Composer: Johann Eusebius Schmidt (1670-1745)
1. Labor on! Labor on! Zion, shine Thou forth in light! As a city on a mountain, In thy first love still abide, Seeking for the living fountain. Zion, passing thru the narrow gate, Do not wait; do not wait.
2. Still endure! Still endure! Zion, still endure all pain, All contempt, reproach, affliction. Faithful unto death remain; Make the crown of life thy portion. Zion, if thou feel the serpent’s lure, Still endure, still endure.
3. Follow not! Follow not! Zion, from the world abstain, Not in worldly greatness rising. Seek not after earthly gain, And the Dragon’s throne despising. Zion, tho’ much joy could be thy lot, Follow not! Follow not!
4. Prove with care! Prove with care! ’Round thee evil spirits stand, Which on ev’ry side are calling, But obey not their command. Let God’s hand keep thee from falling. Whether straight or crooked, shun the snare, Prove with care; prove with care.
5. Press thou on! Press thou on! Zion, press thou on to God! With His strength thy spirit glowing, Be not like a withered rod, But a vine in vigor growing. Zion, let hypocrisy be gone; Press thou on! Press thou on!
6. O break forth! O break forth! Zion, O break forth in might! Brother-love in thee be burning, Show thyself as His by right, Who as Bridegroom is returning, Zion, through thine open door on earth; O break forth! O break forth!
7. Hold thou fast! Hold thou fast! Persevere now as of old; Lukewarm let not Jesus find thee; On, behold the crown of gold; On, forget what is behind thee. Zion, in thy struggle to the last, Hold thou fast! Hold thou fast!
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!