Author: George Michael Mangold (1822-1894) Composer: John Homer Baumgartner, 1956 (1901-1970)
1. Up and strive; up and strive; Brethren, for the true faith strive. Fortify yourselves in Jesus; Battle for the crown of life. Strive to win the Master’s praises; Gird yourselves with might and pow’r each day, On your way, on your way.
2. Put it on; put it on! Put God’s mighty armor on, Whereby you may bring undoing To the adversary’s plan, Who designs your overthrowing, To delay, to delay.
3. Therefore strive; therefore strive ’Gainst the cunning and the might, Of the hordes of evil spirits Who in darkness and in night Wage against the Christ their conflict. For the prince of darkness fears the light And the right, and the right.
4. For ‘tis true; for ’tis true That the conflict on life’s path Is not only with the human; But against the devil’s wrath Is our conflict-- he our foeman; Therefore, with your Head united stay, Watch and pray, watch and pray.
5. Steadfast be, steadfast be, Brethren, stand ye fast and fight; Gird your loins with courage duly, Gird your minds with truth and right; Ye shall be victorious truly. Righteousness shall be your breastplate strong Fight the wrong! Fight the wrong!
6. Battle on, battle on, Let your faith be your best shield, By the Lord Himself erected; In its shelter hold the field, ’Gainst the enemy protected; For he would with fiery, deadly darts Pierce your hearts, pierce your hearts.
7. Be supplied, be supplied With the helmet naught can pierce; Hold the hope of your salvation, Though the foe wage battle fierce With his powers of temptation; Turn the light your hope doth now accord To the Lord, to the Lord.
8. Firmly seize, firmly seize, Brethren, take the Spirit’s sword, Which is God’s own Word of power. If you keep it close at hand, Satan will before you cower, For he, when God’s mighty sword he sees, Turns and flees, turns and flees.
9. O beware, O beware, Brethren, walk as in the light, And abide in love forever; Turn not to the left or right From the way of your dear Saviour. Pray ye to the Lord in every need, He will heed, He will heed.
10. Carry on, carry on, Carry on the work of God, And the souls of men be winning; With the Gospel’s peace be shod. Waken those still dead in sinning; Bring them, through the gracious Gospel-Word To the Lord, to the Lord.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!