Author: Johann Andreas Rothe, 1727 (1688-1758) Composer: Unknown
1. I now have found the firm foundation Where evermore my anchor grounds! It lay there ere the world’s creation, Where else, but in my Saviour’s wounds? Foundation which unmov’d shall stay, When earth and heaven pass away.
2. O depth of love, in which past finding My sins through Christ’s blood disappear! This is for wounds the safest binding, There is no condemnation here. For Jesus’ blood thro’ earth and skies Forever “Mercy! Mercy!” cries.
3. I never will forget this crying, In faith I’ll trust it all my days; And when o’er all my sins I’m sighing I t’ward my Father’s heart will gaze. For there is always to be found Free mercy without end or bound.
4. Though in the best of all my actions, In works that are admir’d the most, I must perceive great imperfections; I surely have no right to boast. Yet this sweet comfort doth abide, In “Mercy” only I’ll confide.
5. Be it with me as He is willing Whose mercy is a boundless sea; May He, Himself, my heart be stilling, That this may ne’er forgotten be. So rests my heart in joy and woe On mercy while it beats below.
6. On this foundation I, unshrinking, Will stand, while I on earth remain; This shall engage my acting, thinking, While I the breath of life retain. Then I will sing eternally Unfathomed Mercy, still of Thee!
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!