Author: Gerhard Tersteegen (1697-1769) Composer: Philipp Nicolai, 1599 (1556-1608)
1. O Majesty, we worship meekly, We know Thou needest not our praises, We sorely need Thy love and care. We’re born to Thy name’s adoration So dearly bought, a new creation, Salvation, to Thee honor bear! In honor of Thy name is all creation’s fame. Blessed Being! With pray’rful hearts to Thee we come, In truth and spirit be it done.
2. The cherubim and seraph’s number In rev’rence bow, they never slumber; The angels throng, Oh, numberless! The highest spirits, who well know Thee, Their praise and honor bring before Thee, Thy greatness and Thy might confess. Their blessedness art Thou, to Thee they humbly bow. Amen! Amen! We too are Thine, we so agree, Thou, God, our God fore’er shalt be!
3. The elders great, Thy throne surrounding, Give up their crowns in praise abounding; The chosen first-born’s mighty throng, The multitude from ev’ry nation, In robes of white, who found salvation, In worship raise their voice and song. Thine is all pow’r and might, all wisdom, praise and right! Amen! Amen! We too are Thine, and sing Thy chime, Thou, God, art our God, most sublime!
4. They magnify Thy deeds with gladness, Tell of Thy goodness, pow’r and greatness Most blessed, worthy of all praise, That purest wisdom, love most loyal Are in Thy wondrous ways so royal, And even more their “Amen” says. Their praise will not suffice; Thy works praise Thee, All-wise! Amen! Amen! We too are Thine, and sing the chime, Thou, God, art our God, most sublime!
5. Through Thy good will we see surviving All Thou hast made, all that is living; Thy work is marvelous and great! By all must Thy due praise be given Of things in earth and sea and heaven: For these Thy glory all reflect; All things that move and live to Thee do praises give: Amen! Amen! We, too, are Thine, and with them join: “Thou, God alone art King divine!”
6. Thy friends who here among all nations Have built their pilgrim habitations Exalt Thee, O Thou Blessed Good: They all confess Thee perfect ever, They call Thee God and only Saviour, Who hast redeemed them by Thy blood! Their Portion, Lord, art Thou, the only Hope they know: Amen! Amen! We, too, are Thine, and with them join: “Thou, God, alone art King divine!”
7. Thyself in us be glorifying, And we Thine honor magnifying, O make our heart Thy Holy Place, That it with Thy great glory filled, And by Thy nearness duly stilled, Be glowing with Thy Godhead’s praise! May heart and mind and soul Thy goodness, Lord, extol: Amen! Amen! Hallelujah! Praise God on high! The Lord is great and good and nigh!
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!