Author: Georges Michel Mangold (1822-1894) Composer: Oscar Ahanfelt (1813-1882)
1. Jesus in the night of His betrayal, When His covenant He did endow, When His blood, in love and grace eternal, Fro transgression and for sin did flow, He established for his church a token, That His covenant might n’er be broken, This His holy Sacrifice and feast, For His own, from sin and death released.
2. After they the paschal lamb had eaten, He took bread, and breaking it, gave thanks’ Shared it with His own belov’d disciples, Who in love and trust had joined His ranks, “Take and eat, my body I do offer, As unto the death for you I suffer; This a mem’ry of my death and pain, Likewise, your redemption shall remain.”
3. When of this blest bread they had partaken, And brought thanks unto their God above, Having been unto this feast invited And found worthy of His grace and love, He the cup into His hands did gather, Giving thanks unto His Heav’nly Father, Said to His disciples: “Drink this wine, As a token of my blood divine.”
4. “This cup is the blood of my new cov’nant, Which for many sinners I have shed; Therein lies the promise and the power Of each one who unto sin is dead.” So this blood, which flowed on Calv’ry’s mountain, Unto full salvation is the fountain; And this cup reminds us of the blood, Which for sin was made a cleansing flood.
5. His blood purifies the congregation Of His children whom He did atone, Whom He loved sincerely ere creation. He to them says: “Ye are Mine alone!” Constantly His church He is adorning, And His faithfulness is new each morning. His good Spirit giveth He as seal, As His sacred promises reveal.
6. Come then to the feast of His New Covenant, Members of His church, your faith renew; Thank the Founder of this precious covenant Through the chalice He pours out for you. Here your hands in faithfulness uniting And the fire of brother-love new lighting, Let your common prayers rise to His throne. Thank and praise Him who hath made you one!
7. By their love His members are united In a union godly and devout; All who love their holy vows have plighted; All who do not love belong without. In their love this blessed meal is taken, In their love they shall abide unshaken, Many members are as one arrayed, As from many grains one bread is made.
8. Therefore, when ye to your Master’s glory, Come to keep this holy feast of love, Ye must truly hear salvation’s story, Joining those whose homeland is above! Then true love will heart to heart bind ever, And no discord will this union sever; One in Jesus Christ they all shall be, He the Head of His community!
9. There is life and there is peace and gladness, There contentment, grace, and mercy flow; There the light of Jesus scatters sadness, Shining with a soft and blessed glow, O, who would not joy in this salvation, Yearn to dwell within that habitation Where the Light of life shines full and free, Giving men new life and liberty!
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!