Author: Justus Falckner, 1697 (1672-1723) Composer: Johann Georg Stötzel, 1744 (1711-1793)
1. Rise, O Christian generation, Clinging to your Lord always! Up, arise in consecration, Lest your soul be led astray! For your foe dareth you, Unto combat dareth you!
2. Follow then the Saviour’s banner; Trust in His almighty arm; Though your foe in dreadful manner O’er the battlefield doth swarm, Jesus’ host conquers most, If near Him it takes its post.
3. On His word then take the venture, Clad with pray’r and watchfulness. This alone will make you fearless, Strength and courage to possess, War to wage, and engage Through Christ’s blood the enemy’s rage.
4. For His power hath been tested By the saints who steadfast stood; Knowing that in overcoming They had conquered by His blood. Shall not we steadfast be, Fight for Jesus valiantly?
5. Those who love sin’s baleful bondage Are to conflict disinclined; None who yield themselves her servants Can their soul’s salvation find; Sinful night, Satan’s might Has deprived them of their sight.
6. But the one whom wisdom teacheth Freedom is the Christians’ part, He whose mind to God inclineth As the hope of his whole heart, Seeks to be from guile free, Christ’s own servant faithfully.
7. O how wretched is existence Without Christ and liberty! Those who offer God resistance Shall have woe and misery. Comforts new, blessings true Come to those who sin subdue.
8. Through the Word and blood of Jesus Let us then our foes defeat; He’ll deliver us from danger, He will be our safe retreat. We shall see victory; From the world He’ll make us free.
9. May our life be ever hidden Here in God with Christ our Lord; Then shall we upon that morning Stand illumined by His Word; All the care we now share Will be changed to glory there.
10. On that day God’s faithful servants Shall receive their faith’s reward; In the tents of all the righteous Shall their vict’ry’s song be heard. There God’s band e’er shall stand In that bright and happy land.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!