Author: Johann Michael Hahn (1758-1819) Composer: Christoph Anton, 1643 (1610-1658)
1. Jesus, bosom friend so gentle, Son of truth and righteousness, Dwelling in Thy holy churches Who their faith in Thee confess. Enter in as we assemble’ Pour upon Thy holy temple Life and light in godlike flame, As we gather in Thy name.
2. Come, invigorate each member, Thou, Thy body’s holy Chief! Casting out all apposition, From temptations grant relief! Come, unfold to us in clearness Grace and truth in sacred nearness; Let us hear today anew; “I am in the midst of you!”
3. Let our heart and our whole being Turn to Thee, eternal light! What Thy gracious kindness offers May we choose both day and night. May Thy light and life be flowing, Blessings on each one bestowing; May each heart anew embrace, Lord, Thy covenant of grace!
4. Let the eyes of ev’ry teacher Look to Thee, O Christ, our Lord! Give each hearer understanding Of Thy presence in Thy Word. May its sound each heart then enter; May it pow’r and blessing render; For Thy kingdom us prepare, For all else is but a snare.
5. Make each soul Thy habitation; Come, O Lord, and dwell within! May each one make preparation In Thy ranks e’er to remain! Thy good gifts we all desire, And Thy majesty admire; Make Thy truth and holiness In Thy children manifest.
6. What has flowed from Thy clear fountain Heart and spirit shall assure! May what hungry souls have tasted Make us righteous, meek and pure! Come, O Jesus, do Thou bless us, Meet us in Thy love so gracious; That in love and truth with Thee Each one may united be!
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!