Author: Johann Jakob Rambach (1693-1735) Composer: Ludwig Van Beethoven, 1823 (1770-1827)
1. Great and priestly Mediator, Sitting on Thy Father’s right, Hosts of servants now defending In the realm of grace and might. Whom within His sanctuary, In the royal crown of glory, Heav’nly multitudes untold With veiled countenance behold.
2. Thy great work of our redemption And atonement is achieved; All that was to be accomplished Thou in wisdom hadst conceived. For us, Lord, Thou didst expire, Grace and favor to acquire; With Thy rising from the tomb Liberty for us shall bloom.
3. This is now Thy occupation In that holy sacred place; Words and powers of salvation By the gospel of Thy grace, Give to all those to be sharing Who are to Thy throng repairing; Thus are thru Thy loving hand, Grace and blessings to us sent.
4. And the names of all the godly Thou dost bear upon Thy breast; All who come to Thee believing In delight shall be caressed. All the faithful Thou dost cherish, That not one of them might perish; In Thy Father’s house so fair Thou their mansion dost prepare.
5. Thou dost not forget the wretched, Who still serve the world of sin; Yea, Thy heart doth break in pity For the bondage they are in; That Thy Father may yet spare them, In His mercy still forbear them, That their hearts He yet might turn, Ah, for this Thou, Lord, dost yearn!
6. When Thou here in flesh didst sojourn And our sins upon Thee lay, Thou didst turn unto Thy Father; For the sinners Thou didst pray, Both with weeping and with sighing, For the sinners’ pardon crying, Oh, in what humility Then arose Thy fervent plea!
7. Now Thy eloquent petitions Are supported by Thy might, As Thou in Thy heavenly glory Sittest at Thy Father’s right; Now, though Satan may accuse us, Pardon Thou wilt not refuse us; For Thy blood for us was spilt, And this blood removed our guilt.
8. Precious Saviour, we commend Thee, That in this, Thy sacred place Thou hast shown such untold mercy; We bring honor, thanks and praise. Do Thou still make intercession When we offer our petition; Lead us by Thy faithful hand Till we reach our Fatherland!
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!