Author: Johann Jakob Rambach (1693-1735) Composer: Johann Heinrich Egli (1742-1810)
1. Baptized into Thy name most holy, O Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, I claim a place, though meek and lowly Among Thy seed, Thy chosen host. Immersed with Christ, I’m dead to sin; Thy Spirit now shall live within.
2. My loving Father, Thou dost take me To be henceforth Thy child and heir. My faithful Saviour, Thou dost make me The fruit of all Thy sorrows share. Thou, Holy Ghost, wilt comfort me When darkest clouds around I see.
3. Now I have vowed to fear and love Thee And to obey Thee, Lord, alone; I feel Thy Holy Spirit move me And freely pledge myself Thine own, Renouncing sin to keep the faith And war with evil unto death.
4. Yea, all I am and love most dearly To Thee I offer now, the whole; O, let me make my vows sincerely; Take full possession of my soul! Let naught within me, naught I own Serve any will but Thine alone.
5. Depart, depart, Thou prince of darkness! No more by thee I’ll be enticed! Mine is indeed a chastened conscience And sprinkled with the blood of Christ. Away, vain world! O sin, away! Lo, I renounce you all this day.
6. And never let my purpose falter, O Father, Son and Holy Ghost! But keep me faithful to Thine altar Till Thou shalt call me from my post. So unto Thee I’ll live and die, And praise Thee evermore on high.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!