Author: Christian Friedrich Förster (1769-1829) Composer: Hans Georg Nägeli (1773-1836)
1. A Christian now baptized, To me much grace is given. Why was this granted me? That I with Christ am risen! This is the holy aim; He who does this neglect Cannot in truth proclaim; “I’m one of God’s elect.”
2. I’m baptized in Christ’s name And in His death I’m buried; How should I further bear The load so long I carried? Thou, Lord, art He who died And who arose again; Therefore, in holiness Through life I will remain.
3. Baptized I feel His grace My sinful mind subduing; And look in all distress To God, my faith renewing. Thou art the central force, Help me to manifest What true baptism means And what it should attest.
4. O grant me now Thy grace That I, with true devotion, May ever by Thee stand, Though stormy be life’s ocean. And with Thy blessing, Lord, May I in faith remain, And to that kingdom come Where peace shall ever reign.
5. Baptized am I; now may This truth the whole world ponder. I live no more as they Who in deep darkness wander; Baptism urges me That I by constant prayer Resist the enemy With power, everywhere.
6. Baptized am I; now shall No wayward thought of erring Cast o’er my heart a spell, My soul to evil snaring. For what may tempt my heart, And every sinful pride, Upon Thy cross, O Lord, Shall hence be crucified.
7. Now grant to me Thy power So that I may not waver, And bless me every hour, O my beloved Saviour, Thus shall I safely fare Upon this blessed way, And reach the city where Thy peace shall reach for aye.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!