Author: Unknown Composer: Hans Georg Nägeli (1773-1836)
1. Little flock, in haste assemble and to Zion’s mount repair! Lo, the prince of world and darkness for the conflict does prepare. See, the judgment day is coming, as a thief in darkest night; Then awake and watch, ye righteous; walk as children of the light!
2. Do not hesitate, my brethren, for your lifetime onward rolls; Dedicate your hearts and members to the bridegroom of your souls. Though without the camp ye suffer insult, scorn and vile retort, Sighing “O, behold my leanness!” from the Lord comes your reward.
3. Though our tears oft flow with sadness and in sorrow oft we sigh, They shall change to songs of gladness, bitter cup to wine of joy. Though we often see them gleaming, Satan’s arrows, sword and spear, Yet we need not lose our courage, heaven’s host is drawing near.
4. Here indeed the tearful sowing is our watchword and our fate; Toil and strife befall the Christian till he enters heaven’s gate. O, then let our tears be given to the Lamb who came in tears, Till we sing our praise in heaven in those happy, endless years.
5. Spirits of the just made perfect bid us to be strong and brave, Saying, “Brethren, in His service be ye faithful to the grave. Hallelujah! Stand in union to the end of earthly strife, Till you sing the song of triumph with us in eternal life!”
6. Who, then, would not from this Babel, from this world’s confusion flee? There to rest in Zion’s pastures, its glad citizen to be? There we shall be out of danger, ’neath the Father’s safe retreat; And we’ll find on that blest morning heaven’s bliss for strife and heat.
7. Cheer up, then, and strive, ye ransomed, in this toilsome, trying time; God will comfort and reward us with eternal rest sublime! Only he who is victorious shall the crown of life receive; Then prevail in prayerful watching, love, endure, hope and believe!
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!