Author: George Michael Mangold (1822-1894) Music Source: John Wyeth’s Repository of Sacred Music, 1813
1. Haste and seek your soul’s salvation; Heed the word of God today! Haste to flee His condemnation; Seek the straight and narrow way. Evil are the worldly pleasures, Leading to eternal fire; Seek the everlasting treasure, Ere the day of grace expire.
2. Turn your face, take timely warning, To Him who alone can save! Now His loving face is shining; Soon comes judgment and the grave. Still He offers you salvation But the time of grace is short. Will you heed the invitation? Come, and harden not your heart.
3. Do not put off till tomorrow Your repentance; come today! For to wait will bring you sorrow; Only grief comes from delay. At the feet of Jesus bowing Make confession of your sins; While your tears of grief are flowing, Let the loving Saviour in.
4. Haste, while yet His grace is offered; Waste no time in worldly thought; Now begin your pilgrim journey, Cleansed from ev’ry stain and spot. You will find by faith, revealing Full redemption in His blood; For each sinner there is healing, Baptized in this cleansing flood.
5. Having clothed yourself with Jesus And your faith has made you whole, Do not fear the tribulations That assail and try your soul: For the enemy oppresses All who would the world forsake, Seeking that he might compel them On themselves his yoke to take.
6. Heavenward, then take your journey; Let your course in faith be trod; Face the crafty adversary Boldly as a man of God. Go with courage to the conflict As the sanctified to be; And retaining still your treasure, Win a crown of victory.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!