Author: Johann Konrad Allendorf (1693-1773) Music Source: J. A. Freylinghausen's Neues Geistreiches Gesangbuch, Halle, Germany, 1704
1. Thy word, O Lord, draws us together In mutual fellowship to stand; It kindles in our hearts forever The flames of faith and love’s sweet band. The word of grace, which brought salvation And fellowship with Thy great throng, Who praise the Lamb with harp and song, Extends to all its invitation.
2. A heart that oft the Lord forsaketh By sin and lust is overcome, Who yet of worldly husks partaketh, And in the darkness yet must roam, For such no blessings are provided; But all who on the Lord believe In Jesus faith and life receive, Can with His body be united.
3. The rock on which our faith is founded Is Jesus and His precious blood; Likewise, our hope and trust is grounded On Christ, His grace, a cleansing flood. His Word the precept we acknowledge, Our daily duty from the Lord, This is what we with one accord Call fellowship and real communion.
4. O what a life of heav’nly blessing With Father, Son and Holy Ghost, The blessed fellowship professing, God’s gift and promises to boast! O here are flames of sweet affection; God giveth to His holy throng The fulness of His blessing strong. Here dwelleth God in love’s perfection.
5. The Father doth caress His children, Inspiring trust and faithfulness; The Son in love adorns the sinner With His eternal righteousness; With unction comes the Holy Spirit, Anointing us with joy and peace. Our hearts in sweet repose increase, And godly power we inherit.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!