Author: George Michael Mangold (1822-1894) Composer: Unknown
1. Wherever, Lord, true love is waning, O intervene ere ‘tis too late; And may Thy grace effect new ardor, Thy Spirit, Lord, new love create! For if the flame of love should die, The light of faith extinct would lie.
2. O this confession, Lord, I bring Thee, In truth and deed it must be told That if the flame of love has vanished, The heart becomes both void and cold. God’s love will conquer all at length; It gives His children life and strength.
3. Enfold us with Thy loving mercy; O holy Lord, wake us from sleep, That we by Thy good Spirit’s guidance May onward tread the pathway steep; That for perfection we may strive, The blessedness of love revive!
4. Love’s first fruits, Lord, do ever nourish, For they are pure, sincere and true! They cause all selfishness to perish, All evil in our hearts subdue; Love is the God-like quality In which His children we may be.
5. Lo, where the love of God has vanished, The holiness of life is lost; The love of self has not been banished And love no more can cover faults; Here peace with God will fade away And wantonness soon brings dismay.
6. True love doth fellowship desire, It seeks a faithful brother-heart; True solace here we can acquire, Where hand in hand and heart in heart In mutual harmony are bound. And Christ’s love has a dwelling found.
7. This charity is friendly, sparing: It looks for brotherly accord, Is ever patient and forbearing And seeks not honor or reward; Is clothed in sweet humility, From ev’ry taint of evil free.
8. This charity is soon entreated; Is not insistent on its right, Is never proud or self-conceited But finds enjoyment in the light Of truth, and righteousness, and peace. True charity shall never cease.
9. True charity no ill is seeking, Is ready to give others aid; And if the world is vengeance wreaking, It trusts in God all unafraid, Retaining still its confidence That God will be a sure defense.
10. True love by God has been selected, Where it is found, there dwelleth He; In all who are with God connected Love floweth as within a sea; Where real and true love holdeth sway, A child of God is found alway.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!