Author: Philipp Friedrich Hiller (1699-1769) Composer: Henri Abraham César Malan (1787-1864)
1. God of unlimited compassion, Thou never-ending fount of love! With countless hosts in meek submission We praise Thee now, O Lord above, For grace and patience Thou hast shown Ere this created world was known.
2. For Thy most wonderful redemption, For the atonement of our wrong, For Thy most gracious invitation And for Thy Word with promise strong. Yea, for the comfort of Thy Word Our hearts bring thanks to Thee, O Lord.
3. For Thy most holy, truthful Spirit By which our spirit’s life is shown, For light and power we inherit As Thy almighty work is known, For the assurance there we find Brings praise our newborn heart and mind.
4. For solace in Thy promise given That Thy rich grace will never end; When mountains fall and rocks are riven Thy cov’nant and Thy truth shall stand. Tho’ earth and heaven sink and fall, Yet God shall be, faithful to all.
5. Yea, lips and heart shall ever praise Thee, Yet heart and lips shall ever plead: Let not my faith grow weak or waver, But build me on this ground indeed; On Thy support I will depend In faith to stand until life’s end.
6. Let me in love live pure and holy And keep me without spot or stain; Grant that my heart be meek and lowly, And may no idle joy or pain E’er sever me from Thy great love, Until I find Thy rest above.
7. No death nor sorrow, fear nor suff’ring, All that this world and hell include, Shall ever part me from my Saviour Nor from His love and brotherhood. I trust the God of Faith and truth With saints above my heart to soothe.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!