Author: Georges Michel Mangold (1822-1894) Composer: Hans Georg Nägeli (1773-1836)
1. Blessed he, who does not follow The ungodly counsel’s course, Shuns deceitful thoughts and actions And the way of sin ignores; Who the mockers’ horde does spurn And whose thoughts to wisdom turn.
2. Those whose hearts delight and pleasure In God’s law and teaching find, And whose souls find joy and pasture In His ways and mercies kind; All such lives a true light show, And no falt’ring weakness know.
3. Such are as the green trees growing And by brooks and rivers seen, Where the fruits are never tardy And whose leaves are ever green, Where the sunrays and the heat Help the rip’ning to complete.
4. For their faith takes root, is grounded Deep in God’s true Word and light, Where its life’s support is founded And love’s flame becomes more bright, Where their hope does bloom and grow And the light of life does glow.
5. But of such are not the mockers Of ungodly, wicked mind, Who in trials and afflictions Are as chaff before the wind; As the grass that is today Soon does fade and pass away.
6. Scorners, who the Lord would flatter In the judgment shall not stand; Likewise, they who discord scatter Perish as the sinking sand; Sinful ways shall not endure, But the righteous way is sure.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!