Author: Georges Michel Mangold (1822-1894) Composer: Hans Georg Nägeli (1773-1836)
1. Dear Father, now behold us Approach Thy throne of grace, To pray in our Lord Jesus, We seek Thy loving face. Bestow on us, Thy children, Thy blessings manifold, Thy love, Thy grace, and mercy, As Thou hast done of old.
2. Hallowed be Thy dear name, Lord, Of all Thy children host, Whom Thou hast taught in Thy word What here is needful most. Thy name in all the ransomed In truth be sanctified. Prepare us on life’s journey With Thee there to reside.
3. May, Lord, Thy kingdom enter Each true and faithful heart, Which doth in truth and candor Seek for the better part. Lord, we, Thy children, call Thee, With heart and soul implore, That Thou Thy kingdom’s glory Forever wilt restore.
4. Thy will and Thy commandments Be done of us on earth That each may learn with patience Their value and true worth. Forever there in heaven, Thy mandates forward go; May we with Thy grace given Do likewise here below.
5. Our daily bread, Lord, give us For body, soul, and mind, Thy words of life so precious, So pure and so refined. We pray Thee for Thy favor, Our Lord on heaven’s throne; Thy bread of heaven’s flavor Can please our hearts alone.
6. Forgive us our transgressions, Where we, O Lord, have not In words, in deeds, or patience Done as Thy word has taught. They are unworthy servants Who do no more at best Than what laws and commandments Require of them, then rest.
7. Let us, Thy children, mindful, Obey Thy words with cheer; Let none of us be idle, Nor indolent while here. And as Thou, Lord, hast mercy, Where we not right have done, So are we ever ready, Forgiving everyone.
8. When Satan gives oppression And night and darkness fall, Give courage and discretion To conquer over all; And when in tribulations, Grant us new strength and power; And with Christ’s inspiration, Prepare us for the hour.
9. The glory and the kingdom Forever Thine shall be, Almighty King and Sov’reign, In all eternity! Put to extermination Those pow’rs of wicked life. O, may for all creation Redemption soon arrive.
10. And now in termination Amen, so it shall be. Our prayers and supplications Shall bring response from Thee. Thou art the true and faithful, The God of Covenant! In Thee our heart is joyful, Our God of Hosts so grand.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!