Author: Johann Gottfried Schöner (1749-1818) Composer: Hans Georg Nägeli (1773-1836)
1. Heavenward, e’er heavenward Let us wend our way! What the righteous seek is there Found without delay, But not on earth. Joy here alternates with woe; Lift on high from earth below Thy heart and mind!
2. Heavenward direct thy soul Ev’ry morn anew! Swift our pilgrimage doth roll; This, O man, is true! O plead and pray: God, who called me by His grace, Deep into my heart impress Thy truth each day.
3. Heavenward the Lord would have Thee to set Thy aim; Be not anxious; do not crave Earthly wealth or fame. From such abstain! Only what with hand and heart For the Lord is set apart Will bring thee gain.
4. Heavenward thy refuge take When oppressed with care, For thy God will ne’er forsake Nor leave in despair. Why this distress? In the realms of light above There is joy and peace and love; This hope possess!
5. Heavenward walk by thy side All the Lord’s elect, And with heav’nly foretaste do What their Lord directs. O join the throng! Strive with zeal while here below; Walk life’s way through pain and woe; In God be strong!
6. Heavenward through all contempt Our dear Saviour trod; Follow Him, where’er He went, As a child of God. Hold fast to Him! Silently thy burden bear; Change thy murm’ring into prayer; The vict’ry win!
7. Heavenward His hand doth guide Through the desert waste; Draws thee closer to His side, Makes thy spirit chaste. He will destroy Every earthly vanity, And will lead thee finally Into His joy.
8. Hallelujah! Heavenward, Let thy thanks ascend; Thou shalt also join thy Lord At the journey’s end. Then thou shalt be Where all pain is turned aside, There to praise Him, glorified Eternally.
9. “Hallelujah,” thou wilt sing When thy Lord shall come, Joyfully His own to bring To His heav’nly home. Great is the Lord! For the cross He took a throne, Made His victory thine own! Praised be the Lord!
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!