Author: Unknown Composer: Alva William Steffler, 1957 (1934-)
1. Onward! Strive to reach the goal, Heaven’s Fatherland! Though the tempter grieves thy soul, Jesus guides thy hand. So, safely on; After conflicts here shall end We to glory will ascend; in this rejoice.
2. Christ Himself the pathway strode With courageous tread, Showing thee the heav’nly road, Follow without dread! O trust in Him! He helps thee in all distress; To be faithful unto death Be thy sole aim!
3. Doth the burden and the heat Fill thy heart with fear? Doth it seem a heavy yoke, What thou hast to bear? O, then behold Jesus’ cross which He once bore And the curse He did endure To save His fold.
4. Doth thy way through darkness lead, Ne’er a shining star? When in conflict and in need, Seems His help afar? He is thy light, And as Shepherd day and night Watches thee, keeps thee in sight; He slumbers not.
5. And when death shall come at last Thou shalt feel no dread; When thy mortal pain is past, Thou shalt see our Head In radiance new. When our conflict here doth end, Into glory shall ascend The Christian true.
Special thanks to the Apostolic Christians who diligently labored to keep their rich musical heritage alive when most other denominations forsook it in the challenging battle of changing cultures. Thanks be to those souls who labored to write and compose this treasure of praise, many now only known to GOD!